Sunday, October 27, 2013

 WOW, what a busy month it's been!  Husband was away working, then several truck repairs, two road trips, daughter had stitches in her finger.....whew!  I am SO ready to settle back in at the farm and get back to my regularly scheduled life!

This is the top of White Pass on the morning of October 14th.  My oldest daugher & I transported 28 show rabbits from our western side of Washington to the eastern side - over a mountain pass and into apple country!
 I, of course, had to stop on the other side and gather acorns!  I ADORE oak trees, leaves, squirrels.....Didn't see a squirrel, but gathered some fabulous HUGE acorns I can use in my craft projects!  Daughter was very decent about scrabbling around on the side of the highway with for nuts.
 My mountain.  I've always lived where this mountain was in view so I feel a part ownership in it, of course.
Mount Rainier is a massive stratovolcano located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of Seattle in the state of Washington, United States. It is the most topographically prominent mountain in the contiguous United States and the Cascade Volcanic Arc, with a summit elevation of 14,411 ft .  Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world.  
Not only that.....it's beautiful!
 A two day trip and back home we were.  For a week.  Then off to the Seaside went my husband and I in celebration of our 34th anniversary (which is actually not for a couple more weeks...)  This was the view from our room at the Oceanview Best Western.  We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but only made it for two before we had seen everything and since we can't sit still for long, we headed back to the farm! 
 We shopped our way through thrift and antique shops while we were gone and I LOVED this sign in one of them!
 The proprietor of the shop made all this faux food herself and it was stunning and very real looking.  We had to tip the soup bowl to make sure it wasn't really soup!!
 In between truck repairs and my daughter slicing her finger with a rotary cutter (ouch) and needing stitches, I worked on primitives again.  I think the selling season for Fall stuff is pretty much passed and now I'm making stuff for the winter and Christmas seasons.  Here's a frosty snowman......
 ....and a frosty snow girl.....
 A drawer full of jolly, happy, souls.....and an ice fishing snowman!
 I'm tired and sort of stressed from such a busy few weeks so I'm taking a bit of vacation from my, well, vacations and working on my art stuff which I find to be very soothing. 

This week I'm going back to my actual life, so I think I'll make bread, get my husband to butcher some rabbits so they can be canned and maybe I'll get to the pie cherries in the freezer and make pie filling.  We're going to need the freezer space in another month or so when we butcher a beef.

Our church service today was excellent and gave me some much needed encouragement and confirmation.  I'm glad to be home!

 Until next time............

Living, He loved me; dying, He saved me;
Buried, He carried my sins far away;
Rising, He justified freely forever;
One day He’s coming—O glorious day!   


4 comments:

  1. I like this post very much, but I'm a bit confused. Not about the acorn gathering -- that seems like a perfectly natural thing to do. About the faux food. I can understand faux squirrels and faux snowmen, but why would anyone make faux food? Is there a market for that? For real?

    On July 2, 1984, Mrs. RWP and I went up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier and saw lots and lots of snow. On July 2! Great memories. I still have a postcard of a huge field of daffodils in Puyallup. I think.

    Please tell me that the rabbits to be butchered are not the show rabbits. What an ignoble end, if they are. Almost makes a body want to be a vegetarian.

    Don't mind me. It's still early here and I haven't had my English muffin and hot green tea yet.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if there actually IS a market for faux food, now that you mention it! I was just amazed that it looked so real!
      Mt Rainier has snow year round, of course. I have been there when the parking lot was plowed, but there were giant steel culverts under the remaining 24 or so feet of snow to get to the lodge & visitor center doors.
      No worries, we don't eat the show rabbits - although they no doubt taste just the same as our meat rabbits ;-) Do digest your muffin & tea in peace, my friend!

      Delete
  2. I get so much enjoyment from reading your blog, Pam.....and then I rest. :)
    I also get much enjoyment from reading Mr. RWP's comments.
    Take care of yourself because we need you......all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetie and an encouragement to me, Maria! I am totally in awe of your knitting abilities - I just play with rag dolls & primitive stuff, your level of skill is awe-inspiring! Love you to pieces!

      Delete