Friday, October 4, 2013

Rabbit Show, Apple Pie Filling, Primitives & time for the First Fire!

 Here's what I'm all about today.  I went to a Rabbit Show last weekend and caught a cold!  So, I'm occasionally sitting down, reading one of the GREATEST authors EVER (Stephen Bly), blowing my nose (sorry) and trying to learn to TAT.  It's one of those things not too many people do any more, so I want to do it!  Oh boy, am I struggling and looking totally uncoordinated!!!
 This is hot cider.  Did I mention I have a cold?  I LOVE the way apples have a star in the middle if you cut them crossways!!!!  (This apple is a Liberty - one of the easiest to grow and very faithful to produce!)
 This is the scene of the crime......the rabbit show where cold germs were obviously lurking in the shadows and.......hmmm.  Why did I catch cold and none of the rabbits did?  Lucky buns!
 My good ole Elmira wood cookstove!  I love it!  She heats my house and you can cook on her too ;-)    p.s.  I have an electric range just like everyone else, but if the power goes out I'm ahead of the game!  Besides, everyone who knows ANYTHING knows that food tastes better cooked on a woodstove.

(In case you were worried, we do take all the stuff off the top and away from the sides when burning a fire.....)
 Last week we made apple pie filling out of some of our King apples.
 We're a great team - my mom works on dishes, my two daughters & I made the filling and canned it.  I think we ended up with a little over 50 quarts. 
 Easy as pie!  Or, as my Grandpa used to say...Easy as falling off a log!
 Of course we got hungry, so I made bagels!  Have you ever had fresh, hot, homemade bagels?  They are easy to make and FABULOUSLY delicious.  We split them while they're hot, spread generously with butter & our own honey.  Just add a cup of coffee and you are good to go for hours!
 Cayenne peppers.  They're pretty and they grew so I'm drying them.  I don't actually use cayenne peppers much.......
 In my spare (don't laugh) time, I'm making this quilt.  It's a pattern by Eleanor Burns called Hole in the Wall.  It'll have sashing in between the blocks, but I haven't gotten that far yet!
 Whipping out a few primitives, too.  I've done a few sets of squirrels & acorns......
 One lil rag doll............
 A few more bats..........
Then I bought myself a present on Ebay all the way from Bulgaria!  This is a small tin that used to hold sewing machine attachments.  Do you know what it says?  (A friend of mine at our Quilting group did!)

Answer:  Gritzner  (German sewing machine maker)

'Nuf for now.  Here's an encouraging word:

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

3 comments:

  1. How do you find time to blog?

    I like that lil rag doll....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well......you'll notice I don't blog real regular-like! When I'm totally exhausted, then I sit still long enough to blog!!!
      If I had your address, I'd send you and Mrs. RWP a lil ole rag doll ;-)

      Delete